What better way to show solidarity with our fairtrade fruit-farming brothers and sisters than by smothering the plummy fruits of their labour with a “liberal” layer of crumbley goodness.
Plums, halved and stones removed
Mixed summer fruit (blackberries, blueberries, strawberries etc)
Muesli (such as, but not limited to, Dorset Cereals’ ‘Berries and Cherries’)
Measurements: each according to their need.
Serves: the people.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C or gas mark 4.
- Add the fruit to a medium-depth dish and sprinkle a nice heap of sugar over it.
- Bake for 20 minutes, and set aside to cool.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200C or gas mark 6
- Rub the butter and flour together in a mixing bowl.
- Add the muesli, cinnamon, ginger and sugar to the mixture. Get your hands right in there and mix them up. Don’t even think about putting them in a blender – blenders are the kitchen utensils of the bourgeois.
- Pile your krumble over your fruit mixture and bake that beauty for 15 minutes.
- Serve with custard or vanilla ice-cream and share widely.